Saturday, February 10, 2007

A Tale Of Two Cities

13-11-04 0200hrs
Iam a survivor, I live to tell the tale. The ordeal began last Thursday. I was dreaming of my family calm in my sleep, it’s been a while since I saw them. The situation has been tense for a month now. My school has been locked up for two days and counting, just as most of the shops around are. They probably fled fearing the worst or maybe they’ve joined the others.
The first explosion shook me awake, as though the earth had moved under me. The second one made me sit up and take notice. All of a sudden I was surrounded by random gunfire and deafening explosions. I looked out of the window only to find my city slowly but surely transforming into a battlefield. I wasn’t exactly surprised. Rumours of a nationwide uprising were rife for quite some time now. It was only a matter of time before the people took to the streets. All around were people armed to the teeth and children with guns. The transformation had been complete and I found myself asking them why. “Its for the victory of good over evil” was the retort. I felt like a traitor. I found myself empty handed when the rest of my creed were up in arms. I would’ve picked up arms myself (you can buy them off the counter these days) had they not been so loud and repulsive. Resigning to my fate I ambled back home, careful not to step into any booby traps.
Meanwhile the pounding continues. It starts well before daybreak and continues into the night. Smart bombs, air strikes, rocket propelled explosives, you name it! Civilian services, as is the norm, have been the hardest hit. Government officials have begun soliciting bribes openly for doing the jobs they’re paid to do. Yesterday I had to pay the postman for bringing me the mail. Its all very disturbing, with perhaps the only comfort being the absence of an enemy and bloodshed. Because I am just an outstation student in pune, preparing for my exams, experiencing the blues of a diwali away from home. I’m told things are much worse in a city called Fallujah in Iraq . Heard of it?

No comments: